Mutilating Hand Injuries
Mutilating Hand Injuries
(Hand Trauma; Hand Injury)
- Machine injuries
- Power tool injuries
- Crushing accidents
- Chemical exposure
- Car accidents
- Farming injuries
- Having an occupation that requires use of dangerous machinery
- Removing safety guards from machinery, such as power saws or wood chippers
- Using short-cuts and improper technique while using machinery
- Using your hands to remove clogged grass from lawn mowers or snow from snow blowers without shutting off the power
- Operating machinery or vehicles under the influence of alcohol or medications that cause impairment during use
- Excessive bleeding
- Amputation of hand or fingers
- Ripped skin
- Skin loss
- Open wound
- Exposed bone or tendons
|Severe Hand Trauma|
|© Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Allow the doctor to closely examine your wound
- Remove debris or dirt
- Pain medications
- Anesthesia to examine the wound closely
- Antibiotics to prevent a wound infection
- Do not operate machinery that you are unfamiliar with.
- Follow all safety instructions when operating tools or machinery. Be especially careful when using snow blowers and lawn mowers. These commonly used tools result in many hand injuries each year.
- Do not put fingers or hands near moving parts of machinery.
American Society for Surgery of the Hand http://www.assh.org
OrthoInfo.org—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
The Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons http://www.plasticsurgery.ca
Fingertips Injuries/Amputations. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00014&return%5Flink=0. Updated August 2011. Accessed December 30, 2013.
Hammig B, Jones C. Injuries related to snow blowers in the United States: 2002 through 2008. Acad Emerg Med. 2010;17(5):566-569.
Kamrani RS, Mehrpour SR, et al. High-pressure plastic injection injury of the hand: case report. Occup Med (Lond). 2011 Aug 8.
Neumeister MW, Brown RE. Mutilating hand injuries: principles and management. Hand Clinics. 2003;19:1-15.
Snowblower and lawnmower Injuries. American Society for Surgery of the Hands website. Available at: http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/SnowblowerandLawnmowerInjuries.aspx. Accessed December 30, 2013.
Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, et al. Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th Ed. United States: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2004; Chapter 268, Injuries to the Hand and Digits.
4/25/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Bruno MA, Weissman BN. American College of Radiology (ACR) Appropriateness Criteria for acute hand and wrist trauma. Available at: http://www.acr.org/~/media/ACR/Documents/AppCriteria/Diagnostic/AcuteHandAndWristTrauma.pdf. Updated 2013. Accessed 4/25/2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 04/25/2014 -