Mutilating Hand Injuries
Mutilating Hand Injuries
(Hand Trauma; Hand Injury)
- Machine injuries
- Power tool injuries
- Crushing accidents
- Chemical exposure
- Car accidents
- Farming injuries
- Excessive bleeding
- Amputation of hand or fingers
- Ripped skin
- Skin loss
- Open wound
- Exposed bone or tendons
|Severe Hand Trauma|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- X-rays —test that uses radiation to form an image; used to assess damage to the hand bones
- CT scan —a type of x-ray that uses a computer to form an image; used to assess damage to the hand bones
- MRI scan —test that uses magnetic waves to form an image; used to assess damage to the hand bones and nerves
Examination of injury under anesthesia
- Anesthesia is given so the doctor can closely examine your wound
- Debris or dirt will be removed
- Pain medications
- Anesthesia to examine the wound closely
- Antibiotics to prevent a wound infection
- Do not operate machinery that you are unfamiliar with.
- Follow all safety instructions when operating tools or machinery. Be especially careful when using snow blowers and lawn mowers. These commonly used tools result in many hand injuries each year.
- Do not put fingers or hands near moving parts of machinery.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org
American Society for Surgery of the Hands http://www.assh.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org/
The Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons http://www.plasticsurgery.ca/
Fingertips Injuries/Amputations. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00014&return%5Flink=0 . Updated August 2011. Accessed October 15, 2012.
Hammig B, Jones C. Injuries related to snow blowers in the United States: 2002 through 2008. Acad Emerg Med. 2010;17(5):566-569.
Kamrani RS, Mehrpour SR, Aghamirsalim MR. High-pressure plastic injection injury of the hand: case report. Occup Med (Lond). 2011 Aug 8.
Snowblower and lawnmower Injuries. American Society for Surgery of the Hands website. Available at: http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/SnowblowerandLawnmowerInjuries.aspx . Accessed October 15, 2012.
Neumeister MW, Brown RE. Mutilating hand injuries: principles and management. Hand Clinics . 2003;19:1-15.
Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS. Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide . 6th Ed. United States: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2004; Chapter 268, Injuries to the Hand and Digits.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 10/2012 -
- Update Date: 10/31/2012 -