What Is Tuberculosis?
- A cough that lasts three weeks or longer
- Chest pain
- Coughing up blood or phlegm
- Loss of appetite
- Fever and chills
- Night sweats
What Is the BCG vaccine?
Who Should Get Vaccinated and When?
- Children who have a negative tuberculin skin test and who are continually exposed to a person who has untreated or drug resistant tuberculosis, and the child cannot be separated from this person
- Healthcare workers and people who work in labs who work where there is ongoing transmission of drug-resistant strains of TB that have not been reduced with precautions
What Are the Risks Associated With BCG Vaccine?
- Redness at the injection site
- Muscle aches
Who Should Not Get Vaccinated?
- Have a compromised immune system
- Are undergoing an organ transplant
- Are pregnant
What Happens in the Event of an Outbreak?
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
The BCG World Atlas on BCG Policies http://www.bcgatlas.org
Active tuberculosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated May 21, 2013. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Basic TB facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/default.htm . Updated September, 2012. Accessed June 4, 2013.
BCG vaccine. DailyMed website. Available at: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=a83f0b99-9038-4c5a-aaac-8792b32838fe#nlm34084-4 . Updated September 2012. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Kaufmann SH. Fact and fiction in tuberculosis vaccine research: 10 years later. Lancet Infect Dis. 2011;11(8):633-640.
Kaufmann SH, Hussey G, Lambert PH. New vaccines for tuberculosis. Lancet . 2010 Jun 12;375(9731):2110-9.
Tuberculosis in children fact sheet. American Lung Association website. Available at: http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/tuberculosis/tuberculosis-in-children-fact.html . Updated March 2013. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Rouanet C, Locht C. Boosting BCG to protect against TB. Expert Rev Respir Med . 2010 Jun;4(3):339-48.
Tuberculosis (TB). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/tb/pubs/tbfactsheets/bcg.htm . Updated May 28, 2013. Accessed June 4, 2013.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/04/2013 -